Saturday, March 6, 2010

( Dirge ) Countess of the Day.



A Chanter m'er ( c. 1180 ad )
(stanzas 1, 4 & 5, from the translation by Meg Bogin)


Of things I'd rather keep in silence I must sing:
so bitter do I feel toward him
whom I love more than anything.
With him my mercy and fine manners are in vain,
my beauty, virtue, and intelligence.
For I've been tricked and cheated
as if I were completely loathesome

The great renown that in your heart resides
and your great worth disquiet me,
for there's no woman near or far
who wouldn't fall for you if love were on her mind.
But you, my friend, should have the acumen
to tell which one stands out above the rest.
And don't forget the stanzas we exchanged.



My worth and noble birth should have some weight,
my beauty and especially my noble thoughts:
so I send you there on your estate,
this song as messenger and delegate.
I want to know, my handsome, noble friend,
why I deserve so savage and so cruel a fate.
I can't tell whether it is pride or malice you intend.

But above all, messenger, make him comprehend
that too much pride had undone many men.


Comtessa de Dia, "A Chanter m'er" and "Estat ai" with music by the trobairitz Dame Castelloza on CD titled, "The Romance of the Rose: Feminine Voices from Medieval France," by HelioTrope, directed by Joyce Todd with Joyce Todd, soprano, percussion, harp; Natalie Cox, harp; Shira kammen, vielle, rebec; Kit Robberson, vielle; Kim Swatsler, hurdy-gurdy, monochord; David Tayler, oud. Koch 3-7103-2 H1, 1995.

. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment